Opinion piece by Jamie Boudreaux, Ben Hogan Golf Brand Ambassador
The Edge EX irons are Ben Hogan Golf’s attempt to bring more average or mid-handicap golfers into the Hogan family. There’s a perception in the golfing public that they are a “better” player club company, but that’s just not the case.
They had tremendous success with the 2016 Edge irons and are building on that success with the EXs. The 2016 Edges were designed for the lower end of the mid handicap range for a number of reasons, chief among them being the clubhead was more compact than the typical game improvement iron. Though much has changed with the new EXs, Hogan remains committed to:
● Forged clubheads for enhanced feel
● 4 degree loft gaps between irons for more consistency
● V-sole technology for better turf interaction in all conditions
Hogan designers made a number of improvements to the new Edge EX line to squeeze even more performance out of the clubs and inspire more confidence, including:
1) Open cavity design to remove unneeded weight from behind the hitting area and move it to the perimeter of the club for increased stability and forgiveness — especially on mis-hits.
2) More offset to give the average golfer more time to square the clubhead at impact for straighter shots.
3) Thicker topline for added perimeter weighting.
4) Larger clubhead to increase the effective hitting area.
5) More weight moved down and to the rear of the clubhead to help launch the ball easier and keep it in the air longer.
6) Strengthened lofts for each iron to add more distance.
Hogan maintains traditional styling for the EXs. The design is simple and uncluttered, especially at address, where it matters most.
Hitting the Edge EXs
They are well-balanced and frame the ball nicely. The thick topline is noticeable at address and will give extra comfort for those needing it. Solid contact seemed a forgone conclusion.
I could feel when I missed the center of the clubface slightly (even my flushed irons are struck between the sweet spot and the toe), but my ball flight and distance seemed unaffected.
I found the EXs pleasing and easy to hit. They have loads of forgiveness packed in a classic Hogan iron design.
Test the new line at your local Club Champion studio today!
Club Champion is the nation's #1 custom club fitter, offering Tour-level fittings to every level of golfer. With 50,000+ hittable clubhead and shaft combinations, Club Champion will upgrade your game — call us at (630) 654-3301 or click here to book your fitting.